Sunday, March 15, 2009

Where's the new fence for this border, huh?: "Frozen River"

I gotta tell you ... this having-two-kids business is damn tiring. Sure, I've actually seen my share of movies lately, thanks to having to hold the new one and walk, oh, 23 miles around the den every other night. But sitting down and knocking out a movie recap of the stratospheric quality to which you, dear reader, have become accustomed? Ain't been happenin', and ain't about to start now. Consider this just cowboying up with a few quick hits.

You may remember "Frozen River" as the "Wha'?" best actress Oscar nomination. Melissa Leo -- whom I knew from "Homicide," I want to say? -- is a mother of two in way upstate New York. As in, right on the border with Canada. She's got a nothing job and a husband who runs off to gamble cash that's meant to buy a new doublewide mobile home. This bleak picture results in her getting caught up in a human trafficking ring -- bringing Asians, Middle Easterners, what have you across the border by way of the local Indian reservation and the frozen St. Lawrence Seaway. Sounds safe and fun, right?

This really turns out to be about two women: Leo and the young Indian woman who drags her into this mess. Both have parenting issues and need cash, and as you might guess, the partnership isn't all grits and shins. Not only is the movie's tone dark, but the actual look is dark. I know a lot of this takes place at night, but gee ... I still want to see what's going on.

Both female leads are good, and the movie was better than I expected -- not hard since I had no expectations. But it also isn't life-changing, and even Leo's performance doesn't make this a must-see. Well, unless you just really dig snow and depression in every scene. Sign me up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home