Thursday, February 21, 2008

COPs: Best Actress, Best Actor

Because you couldn't get enough Clueless Oscar Predictions yesterday, here's some more uninformed forecasting. One of these categories seems wide open to me, while the other is a done deal. Either way, put your money down now.

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age": Nominated much? On the plus side, I'm pretty sure she isn't on the list for Best Short Film. Since this wasn't in theaters long and sounds kind of like a straight-to-video sequel, she's out. ODDS: 10-to-1.

Julie Christie, "Away From Her": Don't know a thing about this, and I'm not sure I've seen Christie in more than two movies: "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" and "Afterglow." She could get some sentimental votes here, I suppose. ODDS: 5-to-1.

Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose": Don't know why, but I'm thinking the Frenchie squeaks this out. There's no clear favorite, and apparently she was Edith Piaf. ODDS: 4-to-1.

Ellen Page, "Juno": Here's the one all the kids will root for, and she supposedly is pretty good. Meant to see this last weekend but but sidetracked. I liked Page in "Hard Candy" and even the third "X-Men" movie, but I can't see her getting both a nom and a statue. ODDS: 8-to-1.

Laura Linney, "The Savages": A critics' darling who always seems to get nominated. But has anyone actually seen "The Savages?" Like a lot of movies not named "Juno" or "Michael Clayton," this movie probably has grossed $35. ODDS: 8-to-1.

BEST ACTOR

George Clooney, "Michael Clayton": This surprised me a bit, but then I saw the movie and figured it made sense. Didn't think Dr. Ross was amazing, but Hollywood loves the guy. Not enough, however, to give him another Oscar so soon. ODDS: 12-to-1.

Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood": The biggest lock on the board, and one of the best performances I've ever seen in a role that was tougher than it looks (and it looked tough). Seems inconceivable that he could lose. Of course, neither could the New England Patriots. ODDS: Even.

Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street": Have to admit I never figured out exactly what this movie was. All I know is that I didn't care to see it, and I generally like Depp. Maybe it was the whole Depp-Helena Bonham Carter-Tim Burton thing yet again. ODDS: 12-to-1.

Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah": If anyone pulls the upset, it's Al Gore's college roommate, who went from "The Fugitive" to slumming a bit before bouncing back with this and "No Country for Old Men" (which I did see, and where he was pretty good). Still, it's a longshot. ODDS: 10-to-1.

Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises": Another movie I know nothing about, and while I like Viggo, I think he's got a better chance of digging the One Ring to Rule Them All from under the lava of Mount Doom than going home with a golden man. ODDS: 15-to-1.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw "Hard Candy" two weeks ago. The acting was amazing but...Um....What's the word I'm looking for.....um....Ouch! I still have nightmares. I'm betting Ellen Page will still lose votes from any person who has a penis.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DDD does have the lock but I cannot help to always do a double take to make sure it is not Pierce Bronsen(?) from The Matador when they show his character picture. Milkshake. GC acted the same in Syriana, so no oscar for him. Eastern Promises was surprisingly good except for the part where you see Aragon/Strider's junk flying around in a fight scene in a Turkish bathhouse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home