Thursday, March 29, 2007

But at least it's a flat-screen TV, right?

Something of a double whammy here. Not only has it been forever since my last post, but I've managed to not see a movie since then. Blame basketball, travel and the baby, but there's no question that your faithful blogger isn't living up to his title.

To hold you over, here's a rundown of what I am watching -- namely a host of TV shows, some of them far from great.

The Apprentice: Yeah, let's get the most shameful out of the way. While I swore off "Survivor" after the first few years, I've stuck with Trump, save for one disastrous diversion to the Martha Stewart version. It's one of the few things my wife and I both watch, and The Donald is still amusing in his dipsh*t way. Does that excuse this show being on the list? Of course not.

Battlestar Galactica: Another silly entry? Far from it! Sure, it's sci-fi and therefore geeky, but it's also a bonafide show with great political and philosophical angles. No, really! Don't believe me ... just read the reviews. Oh, all right. It's still geeky. But Cylons are cool!

Rome: Not my favorite show but maybe my favorite type of show: a high-quality dramatization of real-life events, highlighted by much bloodletting and boinking. (And even more historically important than the dearly departed "Deadwood," another fave.) I started watching this just because I knew the HBO series would be class, class, class. Little did I know it also would be accurate. How about that? I now have my Caesars straight.

Prison Break: Hugely implausible from the start but still grand fun in that "what will they think of next" way. Besides, the woman doctor is hot, and bonus points for including everyone's favorite creepy guy, William Fichtner, this season.

24: I've been there from the beginning, even catching up on the season I missed when business travel got too heavy. Did someone say implausible? My wife always berates the "real-time" angle, which I admit is ludicrous. Sadly, that's the most believable stuff compared to everything Jack Bauer has to deal with in a day. That said, I can't look away.

Jericho: Sure, it sounded like "Lost" in the middle of Kansas. And sure, I probably would give up this show first if I pared back my TV viewing. But it's nice to see Skeet Ulrich dust himself off from his movie career and find a place as Major Dad's son.

Dancing with the Stars: Um, no. Just making sure you're paying attention.

Lost: Yep, we're still with the castaways, even as every episode that purports to reveal answers really just yields more questions. I read somewhere that this is becoming "The X-Files," in which mysteries aren't so much solved and perpetuated, tweaked and otherwise muddled. That can go on for only so long, and hopefully "Lost" won't peter out like Mulder and Scully did.

CSI: While the idiotic Miami version lasted only one season in our house, we've stuck with the Vegas crew for a while. As if you care, there have been two major breaks from formula this season. As dumb as the Grissom-Sara romance is, you gotta love this Minature Killer thread that has been running from show to show. Let's see "Law & Order" try that!

My Name is Earl: While I get the feeling this show could be twice as funny as it is, it's still quirky enough to keep me watching. The No. 1 reason: Jamie Pressly, whose Joy character remains hilarious even as the people behind the show have become too aware of her trashy appeal. Oh, and she and the Latina maid are both hot.

The Office: I'll swear to my dying days that the British version is funnier, but it's getting harder to be certain the longer this show goes on. Not only have they taken some of the characters and storylines from the original and tweaked them well, but they've also made those characters genuinely funny in their own right. I mean, Dwight? That guy's just not right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home