Thursday, May 11, 2006

Actually, I prefer pie: "Layer Cake"

You know, something needs to be done about these British movies that some people think are hip, edgy, clever, etc. I'm not saying they're totally bad, mind you, but we ought to have an attitude of "now, now ... it's not all that" about them.

Take "Sexy Beast," for example. Some critics talked about how cool it was, but really it was "Gandhi Being Mean." Or "The Limey," which wasn't bad but wasn't much more than "General Zod Yelling at Easy Rider Dude." I dunno ... maybe because they add u's to some words, critics are fooled into thinking some British drama/suspense movies are awesome.

Which brings us to "Layer Cake," which wasn't universally acclaimed a couple of years ago but did take on that ultra-hip aura. Of course, now it may be most notable for having the next 007, Daniel Craig, in the lead. Before that, you might have seen him in the first "Lara Croft" movie, or as the nutso son of Paul Newman in "Road to Perdition." Not exactly a banner resume, I know.

In "Layer Cake," Craig plays a drug dealer who gets caught up in a big deal for some Ecstasy while also being dispatched by a mob boss to find a missing woman. Craig's character -- never named on screen ... ooohhhh! -- had wanted to get out of the game, but wouldn't you know it, he has to deal with this stuff. Ain't that just the way?

We follow Craig as he navigates his way among various crazy and unsavory characters, and it's all very slick and colorful, even if we can't understand everything that's being said with those accents. Still, it's fun to see him go toe to toe with Colm "Really, I've Done More Than 'Deep Space Nine'" Meaney, as well as get with Sienna Miller. Up to now, I knew her only as Jude Law's ex-squeeze, but she's more than that. Much more. Hi there!

We also get some fun mob boss-types in Kenneth Cranham (Pompey from HBO's "Rome") and Michael Gambon, one of those names you've heard but can't possibly name a movie he's been in. Or perhaps you're just now saying, "Ah yes, he was William McCordle in 'Gosford Park.' Of course!"

Even with these decent actors and a nice look, "Layer Cake" left me wanting. I guess I thought it was trying to be a little too clever, and I found myself waiting for both more action and more exposition. Keep in mind that I'm not saying this would have been improved by being Americanized. The last thing we need is Nicolas Cage trying to talk his way out of doing a drug deal for Donald Sutherland while trying to make time with Cameron Diaz. Yeah, I'll pass.

1 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the American in me, but I can't remember the differences in the plots among Layer Cake, Snatch, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels?

And which of these did Guy Ritchie direct?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home