Saturday, April 16, 2005

Nah, honey, we're just going to watch football and drink beer: "Bachelor Party"

Full disclosure: I loved "Bosom Buddies." Why it didn't last more than a few seasons is beyond me, and I wonder to this day if Peter Scolari shows up every now and then at fellow cross-dresser and Academy Award Winner Tom Hanks' house, pitching a new project through the intercom. "Tom, remember me? We were great together, man! Tom?"

All this is a way of saying you have to love the early Tom Hanks comedies, before he got all serious on us. "Volunteers," "The Money Pit" ... even "The Man With One Red Shoe." (Also one of Jim Belushi's finest hours, but I digress.) So when I saw "Bachelor Party" was on one of my fancy-pants HDTV channels, how could I resist?

Hanks really did do comedy well, as the first half-hour of this movie shows. Playing a school bus driver who somehow was going to marry Tawny Kitaen -- not looking as hot as in the Whitesnake videos, but still ... -- Hanks gets a send-off by his best buddies, including the immortal Adrian Zmed.

Yeah, a lot of this movie is bunk. (C'mon, hookers at a bachelor party? Strippers, sure. But hookers? Maybe it's because I went to Catholic school.) But I totally identified with Hanks having seemingly random friends -- a photographer, a dentist, a waiter and an auto mechanic. Hell, my college buddies run the gamut from lawyers and doctors to vague consulting and government jobs I never can remember.

Along with Hanks' one-liners -- particularly around Kitaen's family -- maybe my favorite part of this movie is that the "villain" is the guy who goes on to play Kent in "Real Genius." Definitely a contender for the "that guy"hall of fame. Of course, it's also nice to have a little T&A, including an insanely hot high-school crush that Tommy somehow manages to resist on the eve of his wedding. That's another cultural shift from yesteryear. Who has his bachelor party right before the wedding anymore? I mean, you need time to get bailed out of jail, right?

2 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrian Zmed, there's a hoofer. I haven't seen choreography that stiff since the Lee Harvey Oswald prison transfer.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't go fronting on Adrian Zmed. He was GREAT in Grease II. "I'm gonna booooooowl tonight. I'm gonna booooooowl toni - hite."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home