Sunday, April 03, 2005

Museums, monuments, mammaries: "Eurotrip"

I present to you now, ladies and gentlemen, the first ever requested posting on this humble site. Yeah, you'd think it would be for something like "The Godfather" or perhaps "Citizen Kane." Alas, the people have spoken, and they want to know what I really think about locker-room comedy, with plenty of boobies thrown in for good measure.

Lest I overstate this, here's the background: While sitting down to watch basketball with some friends a couple of weeks ago, one asked a seemingly innocent question: "Hey, Jeff, have you seen 'Eurotrip?'" Sadly, I said no. Something about not paying top dollar for a low-grade film that made "Road Trip" -- its supposed predecessor -- seem like the height of sophistication.

This suspicion was confirmed when I finally did see "Eurotrip" in its entirety. Simply put, this isn't for all tastes ... namely those who have taste. But hey, don't we all need a little dose of teenage hijinks and random nudity to balance the "Finding Neverlands" and "Mystic Rivers" of the film world? Thinking hurts my head sometimes.

I'll spare you a detailed overview, other than to say a group of American kids travel Europe so one of them can meet his hot German e-mail pal. The typical offensive European stereotypes soon emerge, from English soccer hooligans to loose Dutch women to slimy Italian men. ("Me scuzi! Me scuzi!" You'll never sleep on a train again.) And before all this ensues, we're treated to a rather bizarre cameo by Academy Award winner Matt Damon. Not so much the role -- which is fun ("Scotty doesn't know!") -- as the fact that he's even in the movie. I hope he gets those naked pictures of himself back someday.

In short, I felt conflicted watching "Eurotrip": I'm clearly smarter than this, but stupid lines like "This isn't where I parked my car!" make me laugh, and looking at shirtless teenage girls isn't bad, either. This inner struggle isn't helped by the fact that the hot German girl -- a member of the movie's breast-baring club (and how) -- looked a lot like one of my co-workers. I mean, what am I supposed to do during my next staff meeting ... read Frommer's? ("Here's a fun fact ... ")

1 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a fun fact: You made out with your sister!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home