Thursday, March 10, 2005

In related news, No-Doz stock is through the roof: "A Nightmare on Elm Street"

Ohhh, kids. Break out your jump ropes. "One ... two ... Freddy's comin' for you ... "

When I saw this was on the IFC channel, it was a no brainer. There's just something about watching scary movies from your childhood when you're an adult. Maybe it's some weird rebellion thing. "Yeah, mom ... I am going to watch it. Then I'm running with scissors and going swimming right after I eat!"

I actually was too young when "A Nightmare in Elm Street" came out in '84, but it wasn't long before I saw what all the fuss was about. Maybe it was the same with Michael Myers and "Halloween," and I sort of remember the whole hockey mask thing after the first "Friday the 13th." But Freddy-mania ... I remember it clear as day. Or maybe you didn't notice the 47 sequels.

Those sequels did what they always do to horror movies: dilute the quality of the first one. I'm not saying "Nightmare" is up there with "Halloween," but there was something cool about the whole "dying in your dreams" thing. (Hey, I'm partial to "Dreamscape," too. Sue me.) And, of course, Freddy -- or "Fred" Krueger, as he's named in the credits -- was a terrific ham as much of a menace. I'll admit I can identify with that. No, really.

Even better, it was great to see a parade of "those guys/girls" in "Nightmare": the white guy from "Enter the Dragon," John Cusack's ex-girlfriend from "Better Off Dead," the guy who voiced Roger Rabbit, and even Cerulo from "Wildcats." If that's not an honor roll, then I'm dropping out of school.

Throw in Heather Langenkamp stepping into Jamie Lee's shoes and the very first role for master thespian Johnny Depp, and this is a watershed movie. If you don't believe me, consider that "Nightmare" also was the first movie by New Line Cinema, and it pretty much got them off the ground. In other words, without Freddy Krueger, there might not have been a Frodo, Gandalf, Gollum and all those Uruk-Hai. Wrap your noggin around that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home