Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No, no, no .. we don't like the moody Clooney: "Solaris"

Time for another burst of short posts in my effort to clear a long list of recently-viewed movies. This time, we're dealing with science fiction. Well, sort of.

"Solaris" is a remake of an acclaimed Russian movie that I've DVRed and started but then decided, "You know, I don't think I'm down for two-and-a-half hours of talky sci-fi." You see, the story here takes place in space, but it might as well be a strange house in the countryside.

George Clooney is a psychologist dispatched to some space station after weird things start happening with the crew. Turns out that crew members are being visited by lost loved ones. Clooney proves no exception, as his dead wife (Natascha McElhone) shows up. He's happy, then worried, then ... well, confused. Wouldn't you be?

I'm tempted to say I'm torn with this movie, because I like the cast -- Jeremy Davies also is around as a wacked-out scientist -- and yes, it takes place in space. There also are some interesting philosophical issues.

But you know what? It's also kind of boring. After two great collaborations -- "Out of Sight" and "Ocean's Eleven" -- Clooney and director Steven Soderbergh strike out here. I mean, the movie is an hour shorter than the original, and there are still a lot of dead spots. And no, lingering on this creepy Solaris planet for several seconds doesn't cover it. Sorry. Good night, and good luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home