Saturday, June 06, 2009

I liked her better when the invisible Bacon was ogling from afar: "Doomsday"

Not sure I ever knew that this was in theaters, but I recall seeing in at the Redbox. Sounded totally unoriginal yet still intriguing, especially since I'm a sucker for the "mankind destroyed by some kind of virus/plague, leaving some undead or who knows what behind" story. (See the "Resident Evil" movies, "I Am Legend," the "28 ... Later" movies and so on.)

In this case, three decades after Scotland was quarantined because of a deadly virus, the same virus has reared its head in London. The only hope for a cure is ... you guessed it ... to go into Scotland, where a scientist was working on some kind of cure. Or something like that. All you need to know is that we get a heroine in the spirit of Lara Croft, "Underworld" and Alice from "Resident Evil." Yes, a smokin' babe who likes to kick crazy people's a$$es. Sign me up.

Rhona Mitra is Major Eden Sinclair. I'll let that name sink in. She's got her own issues left over from the Scotland plague, and she leads a team into the dead zone. In a bit of a twist -- and this isn't a spoiler since you really deserve to know what you're getting into -- they don't encounter zombies. No, this movie has a little something for all the folks who miss the "Mad Max" films -- from the wacky get-ups to the mega-highway chase. You can actually hear the sound of paper tearing, it's such a ripoff. (Not "homage" ... ripoff.)

I suppose one could admire the stunts, but I pretty much found the movie just plain stupid, from the story -- and remember, I'm forgiving of this genre -- to the casting of Bob Hoskins as a grumpy cop and Malcolm McDowell as the evil scientist. Don't get me wrong ... Mitra is attractive and has a great body. But while winning a lead role after first gaining notice as eye candy in "Hollow Man" might seem admirable, I'm thinking the Academy ain't expecting much more anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home