Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You have to admit ... he's a less annoying Indian than Kumar: "Super Troopers"

I think when this came out I thought it looked pretty dumb. Never heard anything that made me question that assumption, but I did eventually see another movie by the Broken Lizard comedy troupe. I'm not saying "Beerfest" was great, but it had enough funny parts that I decided to give the first big movie by these guys a try. And hell, now I may have to see "Club Dread," too.

Our story: A state trooper post faces closure because of budget cuts and ineptitude. Meanwhile, these doofuses (doofi?) constantly get into it with the local town police, who have the gall to be real cops. The only path to redemption for our heroes? Solving a murder and busting a drug ring. Hijinks -- what's the the word I'm looking for? Wait, wait, it'll come to me. Ah, yes -- ensue.

One distinctive thing about these guys is Jay Chandrasekhar, the aforementioned Indian. Actually, it looks like he was born in the U.S., but I'm thinking he's of Indian descent. Anyway, he was one of the funnier guys in "Beerfest" -- I still laugh at the "ZJ" line -- and he's not bad here, if only for the mustache.

To say "Super Troopers" is uneven is being kind. But just when it was getting too dumb, something funnier than usual would come along, from the Euro couple stopped for speeding to the fat idiot trooper getting deloused. Plus, we get Brian Cox as the head trooper and Mr. Kruger from "Seinfeld" and chief of the town police. Those guys can do funny, too, and gave the movie a little gravitas. OK, not really, but still, they're not bad.

In the end, I laughed enough to make this not a total waste of time, and hell, it made me want to see "Beerfest" again. And I guess I really will see "Club Dread" at some point. Broken Lizard ... you had me at meow ... you had me at meow.

1 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Anonymous slumus lordicus said...

Club Dread is the "Return of the Jedi" of BL triolgy. As Jay Sherman would say' "It stinks".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home