Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wait ... no ... I forgot ... damn ... it's Guttenberg!: "Cocoon"

Fortunately, he's merely a cog in the overall cast machine here, and not one that derails an otherwise amusing movie.

Can't remember how long it's been since I saw this "old people feel young again thanks to aliens" tale, directed by Ron Howard well before his Oscar-nominated days. I do remember thinking it was better than it actually was. But hey, I was 13 or 14, and Raquel Welch's daughter was cute. Can't act a lick, but cute.

Our story, as you may know: Aliens (led by Brian Dennehy) come to Earth and charter a boat (owned by Steve Guttenberg) to retrieve some big rocks from the ocean floor. They store these rocks in a pool that some old guys from a nearby hursing home regularly sneak into. One day, the geezers get a burst of energy from the pool, which carries over to crazy antics elsewhere. Why, yes, that is Mortimer Duke breakdancing!

It's cute, I suppose. Heck, I didn't even mind the annoying Guttenberg hitting on Welch; he gets off one good line: "If this is foreplay, I'm a dead man." But in the end, "Cocoon" is pretty light, even with the obligatory lessons learned. Still, if watching Wilford Brimley step into the shower while saying "Want some candy, little girl?" is your thing, have at it.

1 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Soo Pod Ray said...

Just another example in a shockingly long list of movies that were fairly entertaining if not downright good, despite Guttenberg's presence. As I may have mentioned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home