Tuesday, October 03, 2006

But I still don't know what a "Dirty Sanchez" is: "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)"

Actually, I do. But let's move on.

Here's another movie I had seen some time ago -- high school, maybe -- and thought was pretty funny. Since I couldn't remember all of it, I figured it was time for another viewing, courtesy of TCM. This is, after all, from Woody Allen's funny period vs. the endless New York angst era. Blah.

Our story isn't a story, but rather a series of vignettes that seek to answer various sex questions. Apparently -- and this is before my time -- there was a popular sex book with the same title. Yeah, written by a real doctor and everything. And here I was wasting my time with "Truly Tasteless Jokes IV."

Anyway, Allen directs and appears in most of the glorified skits, which cover everything from aphrodisiacs to beastiality to cross-dressing to sexual perversions. The scenes also bounce between eras -- medieval, 1950s and today (or the '70s) -- and styles, including a take-off of Italian films. Some are amusing, some are a bit flat. The runaway giant breast, for instance, isn't even that great a sight gag. In general, though, it's fun to see some well-known names get caught up in this fun. I mean, who knew Gene Wilder had a thing for sheep? (Does that make him "Mad About Ewe?" Thank you! I'll be here all week. Try the veal.)

I've reserved the end of this post, though, for the end of the movie, which remains incredibly funny more than 30 years after "Sex" came out. The bit shows us the inside of a man's brain -- and other organs, for that matter -- during a date. You knew it was a complex operation, but did you know Tony Randall is running the show, with the help of Burt Reynolds? You think a guy is capable of getting in a girl's pants by himself?

We also get Woody as a sperm dreading his journey into the great unknown; he rightfully worries about ending up on the ceiling instead of the right place. But I still can't get over Randall and Reynolds being all business in the command center ... er, brain. When you've got Felix Unger ordering an erection, that's comedy.

2 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Blogger Reese said...

Burt Reynolds?

Ew.

Jefferson, I keep meaning to tell you this, but I always forget. There are two film-related sites that contacted me, asking if I wanted to contribute some writing. They're looking for reviews, or for stuff that's basically like what you write - just dis n' dat type writing about film.

I'm punting off my movie reviews to every site that'll take them, but I'm really too busy to do any other type of writing (except for a mammoth essay I have planned on Battlestar Galactica, but that's another story)

Anyway, if you're interested, I think you'd easily be able to send them precisely the same posts you're putting here. My sense is that this is the type of writing they're interested in. Email me, if you want to contribute to these other sites, and I'll send you the contact info. Might be fun. I'm sure they'll link your site n' all that.

Cheerio

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just like the title of your article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home