Tuesday, July 26, 2005

No matter how boring a movie seems, you have to watch when two girls start kissing: "My Summer of Love"

After knocking out "Wedding Crashers" on Saturday, I was up for even more mindless movie fun on Sunday. Alas, the missus ... argh, the missus. the terrible missus. but at least she wasn't asleep this time (NOTE: Actual comment typed by the missus herself when I stepped away from the computer. She's a sly one ... already knows her ABCs.)

Anyway, the missus had a two-for-one deal at the local art house theater. It only has two screens, though, and since I'm pretty sure "March of the Penguins" isn't an action flick -- "Vin Diesel leads an Antarctic expedition that turns deadly!" -- we ended up at something called "My Summer of Love," which I knew nothing about and which sounded like a movie Jerry and Elaine might see on "Seinfeld." (Along with "The Pain and the Yearning" and "Chunnel.")

Even with a brief car sex scene, "Summer" got off to a less-than-promising start. First, it's British, which meant it was slow ... I mean "atmospheric." Whatever. Even the appearance of the excellent Paddy Considine ("In America") didn't spark much interest. Best I could tell, Considine's little sister was the central character, a bored girl somewhere in rural England who didn't like her brother becoming a born-again Christian after he got out of jail. So she roams around the area looking for anything that passes for excitement.

Enter another young woman, who is ... what's the word I'm looking for here? Oh yes, hot. Really hot. Killer-eyes, clean-skin, lithe-body hot. And you kind of wonder if the first girl, Mona, thinks that, too. In any case, she and this girl, Tamsin, become friends, with rich girl Tamsin taking Mona under her wing as the two bored girls start hanging out more and more.

Now this was getting interesting, and I won't keep you in suspense: There is some girl-girl action. (Or is girl-on-girl action? I mean, is it girl-on-girl if they're lying side by side? We need answers to this stuff.) Mona and Tamsin grow closer and closer, even as a few obstacles to their friendship/romance pop up. In reality, not much actually happens in this movie. But dude ... chicks making out. I even gave my wife a thumbs-up when that started. She loved it, as you can imagine.

It soon became clear where "My Summer of Love" was headed, but the movie was tolerable solely due to the three lead performances. Considine was solid as a man trying to stick to God's path, but the two young women -- unknowns Nathalie Press and Emily Blunt -- really nailed their roles. Press gave off a young Sissy Spacek vibe -- we all remember "Carrie" -- with a little Ellen Barkin thrown in. Meanwhile, Blunt was ... hot. And did I mention they make out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home