Friday, May 27, 2005

I loved it .... it was much better than "Cats" ... I'm going to see it again and again ... : "Close Your Eyes"

True story: A guy tried to hypnotize me once. He actually was working on a whole group of people on stage during his show. But of those dozen or so people, guess how many didn't get hypnotized? That's right ... just me, baby ... just me. Hell, the guy's lucky I didn't push back and set him on fire with my mind.

I vaguely recalled "Close Your Eyes" from theaters; it apparently had the more amusing title of "Doctor Sleep" in other countries. (Not as good as "Dr. Naughty," the act in my Vegas hotel a few years back, but still.) About the only thing I knew about the movie was that it had that Croatian guy from "ER" in the cast. That meant the missus and I were going in cold when she TiVoed it a few days ago, and that's not really a bad thing every now and then.

The premise isn't complex: Goran Visnjnsijnsnsnsijinic plays a hypnotherapist with a past now plying his trade in London. There, he gets sucked into helping the police find a serial killer who preys on children. Just some light fare for a Friday night, huh? Maybe the killer can kick a dog while he's at it.

This somber procession features a host of familiar faces whose names are largely unknown in the U.S., i.e. Paddy Considine (the dad in "In America"), Shirley Henderson (Bridget Jones' friend) and Miranda Otto (a small, art-house film called "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers"). All are decent, and the movie actually held my attention for the high percentage of Brits involved. (No teeth close-ups, please!)

I won't ruin the ending for you, because it's worth watching all the way to the end. Just try to avoid getting sleepy ... gettting sleepy ... getting sleepy ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home