Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Since I'm clearly not watching any movies these days

Yeah, despite jamming by DVR list with movies -- now that the movie channels have gone bye-bye -- I've been working late and otherwise not seeing much. When I do sit down in front of the flat-screen, it's been TV shows. To wit:

New Amsterdam: Or, "A Less Violent, More Schmaltzy but Otherwise Decent Version of 'Highlander.'" We have a New York cop who turns out to be more than 400 years old, thanks to an Indian -- feather, not dot -- curse from way back when. This allows our hero -- who has some weird name but mostly reminds me of Aaron Eckhardt -- to constantly, sometime annoyingly, talk about how New York was back then ... and then ... and then. And the curse can be broken only if he finds his true love. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Verdict: Somewhat interesting, depending on this week's case.

CSI: Yes, this is still on. No, it's not as good as it was. The show has been back two episodes now, and I'm actually blogging about it for my day job -- pitching in on a group effort organized by our entertainment editor. In general, Bill Petersen and Co. need to stick with the science and leave the personal crap alone. But I still think Marg Helgenberger -- turning 50 this year! -- has got it going on. Go, U Northwestern!

The Office: Just saw the season premiere, which was painfully hilarious. I think Jim is mugging for the camera a little too much -- that's happened before -- but Pam is cute, Dwight is a riot and Michael is ... Michael. Also, Jan clearly has been revealed to be certifiably psycho. Wow. You know, I loved the original British version, even with the sometimes incomprehensible dialogue. But this is equally funny, mostly because it has taken its own path. I never knew it could be that good. (That's what she said.)

My Name is Earl: I'm moving toward the fence on this one. It's not bad, but it just doesn't grab me. I can't wait to see "The Office" each week. I can wait a few days to see "Earl." Nothing wrong with it, just nothing great. Best thing is still Jaime Pressly -- so hot, and naked, in "Poison Ivy: The New Seduction" -- as Earl's firecracker ex-wife. And I don't mind ogling Catalina. Otherwise, though, I'm just kind of "eh."

Battlestar Galactica: (Pause) I will now welcome your insults. It's OK ... you just don't understand. How could you? You see the title and the 10 p.m. Friday time slot and think, "Wow, where's Lorne Greene, that guy who became Face on 'The A-Team' and all those guys in shiny metal suits?" But while the original TV series was a blatant attempt to capture "Star Wars" fever, Version 2.0 is a real show with all sort of ideas about politics, religion, familes, etc. Really, the science fiction is almost incidental. Not that I want to do without it, mind you. Ooooh, lasers!

Dexter: We just started this on DVD, because, you know, I don't get Showtime anymore. The gay brother from "Six Feet Under" plays a forensics guy in Miami who also happens to be a serial killer. But he kills only bad people, so it's OK. Interesting concept, and Michael C. Hall can act. I've seen only the first four episodes, but the opening story arc of Dexter in a dance with another, public serial killer has me intrigued. And it's just weird to see the guy in something other than a dark suit and Boy Scout haircut.

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earl has jumped the shark with the whole Orange County Chopper bit. It has come off my season pass. I am not going to knock you for BSG (i watched the entire season of Flash Gordon and have kids cartoons on sp), but for a scifi show I want less preachy and more bangy. When is there going to be an updated Buck Rogers? The office and 30 Rock are only getting better. I agree with you 100% on CSI. I watch that show to yell at the TV like a sports game. You have to be kidding me with some of the far fetched computer, crime, science situations the writers come up with. That goes for all CBS crime solving dramas. At least CSI Miami knows it is a blatant farce so the acting goes along with it.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Jefferson said...

Maybe I'll switch to CSI: Miami. Watched the first season, then gave up. But I still make fun of Caruso, the sunglasses and the awful pre-credit lines.

"Looks like somebody ... " (puts on sunglasses) " ... forgot to take out the trash."

"The only problem is ... " (puts on sunglasses) " ... this wasn't a game."

"I guess this means ... " (puts on sunglasses) " ... the park is closed."

Can't believe he never made it in movies. I loved "Kiss of Death!"

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CSI Miami lost me the second season when they killed that male stripper w/ bug spray on the condom. That was a total "WHAT!I've been watching this sh!t for an hour" moment.

Thanks again for the much likable blog.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jefferson said...

But what can you tell me about the Pen Drive?

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're a performance art ensemble in Brazil. Something to do w/ ping pong balls. My Friend Barb Michelin reps for them but I haven't heard from her since she left for the airport.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home