Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Yessir, that's my baby!: "Seeds of Deception"

It took a year, but I think we have our first Lifetime movie on Movievangelist. And starring Melissa Gilbert, no less. Yep, just go ahead and stab me in the eye.

Normally when My Beloved Bride TiVos something from Lifetime -- the channel for women and gay men -- I scoff ... loudly. In fact, I need to get cracking on the rules for "The Lifetime Movie Drinking Game." Really, wouldn't this be a great way for men to enjoy these crappy movies? "Based on a true story: drink two ... adultery: drink one ... one person slaps another: drink one ... crying: social!" This totally could work.

So yeah, like most red-blooded males, I laugh at Lifetime. I laughed the hardest at the details of "Seeds of Deception," which read something like "Woman learns her son has fertility doctor's DNA." That's awesome, and in a moment of weakness, I told my wife I would watch this with her.

As you'll see here, this also is based on the true story -- drink two -- of a guy who called himself "the Babymaker." Seriously, how can you not laugh at this? It turns out this "doctor" used his own sperm instead of that from donors to father several babies through artificial insemination. That may not be funny to those families, I'll grant you. But when you have teddy-bear actor George Dzundza -- a perpetual sidekick better known from such movies as "No Way Out" and "Basic Instinct" -- hamming it up at the doctor, it's a riot.

I won't belabor this point and pretend this is a real movie, but let's just say Dzundza is hilariously slimy, Gilbert is over-the-top melodramatic -- I counted four or five Emmy-type clips -- and the other unknown actors all are one-note bad. But hey, how many movies do you get to see a kid wearing an eye patch and not pretending to be a pirate? Gotta love that lazy eye, especially when it came from your doctor.

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expect reviews of the two movies Melissa Gilbert made after Seeds of Deception.

Both "Against Her Will: The Carrie Buck Story" about a young retarded woman who is persuaded to fight against the courts for custody of her newborn daughter after it's taken from her. And "Cries from the Heart" about an autistic 7 year old who learns to express himself through the use a of a computer and reveals he was sexually abused by his guardian.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Are you tough, big guy!

I get physically ill when I'm blind sided by the appearance of an adult Melisssa Gilbert in a TV movie -- TV being her only venue option for "acting".

There ought to be a law.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe the Lifetime Movie drinking game was my idea which of course I am happy to share w/ the world. You did leave out the part where each Lifetime Movie regular would have their own signature alchohol. For instance Nancy Mckeon would be beer. Valerie Bertinelli=wine,Meredith Baxter(Bernie or not)is Gin. Patty Duke would be would be whiskey.I also need to add a rule. When Patty Duke slaps her childs killer (or her killer child) in the courtroom you have to drink until you pass out. Ditto when Valerie Bertinelli's child is stolen or anyones husband dies before the first commercial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home